Michelle L. Briggs
Michelle’s practice focuses on trademarks, copyrights, entertainment law, and Internet law as well as licensing, transactional, and litigation matters. Michelle is a graduate of the Oklahoma City University School of Law where she ranked in the top 20% of her class. In law school she was involved in various organizations, and was the Vice President of the Intellectual Property Student Association, a member of Phi Delta Phi, a member and treasurer of OCU merit scholars, and a student member of the Holloway Inn of Court. Prior to law school, Michelle received her B.A. in Corporate Communications and Public Affairs in May 2005 from Southern Methodist University. While in college Michelle was selected as a team leader for an inaugural communications consulting group, Mustang Consulting, whose client was Southwest Airlines. She was also an active member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and participated in an international communications program in London, England. After college Michelle worked at The Promotion Network as a marketing account coordinator for such clients as AT&T, Campbell, and Tresemme. She later moved to The Marketing Arm, where she was a consulting assistant for AT&T’s sports and entertainment sponsorship group. Finally, before starting law school Michelle worked for International Speakers Bureau as an account executive.
In addition to traditional transactional IP work associated with the filing and maintenance of trademarks and copyrights, Michelle has worked on a variety of legal matters including:
- Complex copyright filing strategies for group registrations of musical compositions and sound recordings for a record company, as well as works of the visual arts, including, mass photograph filing strategy and recommendations for a national aerial imagery company.
- Pre-Litigation and settlement of Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act claims.
- Settlement of claims against individuals targeted by mass copyright infringement lawsuits.
- Strategic analysis and counseling regarding collaborative entertainment and technology projects involving authors, musicians, corporations, as well as individuals starting new businesses.
- Preparation of opinion letters and memos regarding complex intellectual property ownership issues, including issues pertaining to derivative works of software and sound recordings, as well as chain of title disputes regarding trademark ownership and validation of trademark registrations.
- Trademark and copyright audit for an interactive company providing state of the market analysis as it pertains to soft IP, as well as analysis regarding the state of the company’s current trademark and copyright portfolio. Final analysis and recommendations included high risk initiatives and market areas, as well as identification of gaps in protection and potential infringers in the market place.
- Drafting of key intellectual property agreements including, right of publicity, license agreements, assignments, consent agreements, non-disclosure agreements, employment and termination agreements, terms of service, privacy policies, and work for hire agreements.
- Comprehensive strategic management of international trademark portfolios for several multi-national companies
- Preparation of web and software development agreements, terms of service, confidentiality policies, employee and third-party use agreements, and privacy policies
- Strategic analysis and recommendations regarding copyright infringement of computer gaming concepts
- Admitted to practice before the Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma
- Southern Methodist University, B.A., Corporate Communications and Public Affairs, 2005
- Oklahoma City University School of Law, J.D., May 2011
- Dean’s List, 2009-2011
- Faculty Honor Roll, 2011
- “Who Owns It? Copyright Ownership for the Collaborative Age,” Paradigm, Fall 2012
- "Counsel Beware: Standard Clauses Can Cause Problems in Technology License Agreements," International Society of Primerus Law Firms e-newsletter, March 2013
- Fall 2013—"Intellectual Property for Start Ups," Oklahoma City VentureSpur
- Chair, IgniteOKC4 and Ignite OKC5, 2013
- Chair, Ignite OKC, 2012
- Phi Delta Phi
- Oklahoma City University Merit Scholars, Treasurer
- Holloway Inn of Court, Student Member, 2010-2011
- Intellectual Property Student Association